Saturday, October 4, 2008

Start with a well-fitting foundation.

And by foundation I mean bra. All your tops and dresses fit better with the right undergarment. Recently, many customers have told me that their lives were transformed in the moment they finally succumbed to a professional bra fitting. We are talking about the free consults you can get at a good lingerie store. Most women who get measured are shocked to learn that they have spent all their adult lives in the wrong band size, and the wrong (usually too small) cup size. I was sold, but my list of pressing things to do always seemed to have a "bra fitting" solidly at the bottom. But when I finally went to Nordstrom's lingerie department, I was thrilled to get the low-down. I spent a short two minutes getting measured. (I was indeed in the wrong size...apparently a startling high percentage of women believe they are a 34B. Who knew?) Then, beautifully, every bra the attendant brought to me, fit! If you think I'm blowing this "well fitting bra" phenomenon out of proportion, look to the hosts of the former BBC TV show, What Not To Wear. Last year, in a public event designed to highlight the importance of wearing the right bra size, style gurus Trinny Woodall and Susannah Constantine got 900 women to strip down to their skivvies and dispose of their crappy ill-fitting bras (see photo). Then the women were measured and in the largest bra-swap in British history, were given bras in the correct size. And seriously, don't they look thrilled? - Katherine

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well I will rush out right now and get a good fitting bra. Always meant to do that and now you've reminded me. My God katherine - you are a font of information and I LOVE your store.